Hey all!!! Hope you had a great May Long Weekend! I know the kids and I sure did…we were busy busy busy…having all the fun we could think up…I even managed to deliver a little drama…by cutting the tip of my middle finger off…lol…but the weekend is over and I promised you a project…and I am about to deliver!
I acquired an old television cabinet a while ago, and it was in need of some special Tootsie attention. I stared at it every time I drove into my garage for about two months, trying to come up with an idea for it.
Then one day about two weeks it hit me! So…as usual, I did what I do…and I pushed the limits of the clock a few times, and I managed to make a cabinet that looked to be worthless…into something that looks rich and wonderful!
Unfortunately, somewhere along the line, the before photos that I was sure I took have managed to disappear, so all I have are the after photos. You will need to take my word that it was a scratched up mess and was in a cheap cherry color.
It is now sporting a brand new coat and accents!
If you look closely, you will see some very dark parts…that is where the most damage was. I sanded just the scratched parts down to the bare wood…then sanded the entire thing just a little. I then ran over it with a mahogany stain, and then almost immediately rubbed over that with a black high gloss oil based paint.
I love the finished look!
I am quite happy with the finished product.
As seems to be the theme for me, the back was in bad shape. Someone had done a terrible job cutting out the space for cords and old style television bodies…it was gross!
I HAD to come up with something to make this ugly mess disappear. Then I got an idea…why not pleat and staple fabric to the back so that you can’t see the open space? I did just that…
Those two doors have not one but two sets of hinges…the doors open and bend around the sides so that you can put a large screen inside if you want to.
I grabbed a roll of landscape fabric…(hey…it breathes and it is fairly durable…and…I happened to have a full roll here from when I did the insulation on the sunroom floor…don’t judge me because I’m impatient…hahaha)
I stapled the fabric to two old survey stakes and then attached it to the cabinet with a couple of screws…it not only fixes it aesthetically, but it added a little stability to the cabinet itself! You can still pull cords through it…but they disappear, and there is no visible hole in the back! It almost lends itself to a feeling of theatre curtains!
I had planned to put it in a garage sale somewhere down the line, but it didn’t even make it past the wow…look at the great photos stage…it found a new home with the very first person who saw it. A friend stopped by to visit, fell in love with it, and snagged it that very day! Unfortunately, that "friend" didn't have any intention on keeping my creation for himself...he instead sold it and used the money for a party night he wanted to attend. It is sad...but true. If only I hadn't given this to him!
There you have it! My latest and one of my favorite make-overs. I wish on wishes that I could locate the before photos that I took…the change is amazing!
Until Next time…happy decorating!
*)*)*)...you know who you are!!!
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.
links to the following parties can be found in the menu bar above.
ATTENTION!!! Please do not steal my content! ALL of the content on this page is property of Tootsie Time is not to be copied and used elsewhere unless with the expressed permission of Tootsie! There have been a lot of my photos found on various websites and none have permission. Removing the watermark is not permitted under any circumstances. My work is MINE to share, and should never be seen with someone else's name attached to it. That is stealing!