Many greenhouse growers use their greenhouses for a short period during the warmer months of the year, but there are a small percentage of us that grow year round!
This month by month outline will share what tasks may need to be done year round.
Keeping in mind that I garden in Alberta Canada, (zone 2) the outdoor growing season is from mid to the end of May until the hard frosts take my gardens in mid to late September or early October. If your climate is a bit milder than mine, you can adjust your greenhouse schedule to suit your climate.
This schedule is made for a plan to plant outdoors in Mid to late May.
In this oh so hot month of July, we don’t have much going on inside the greenhouse at all except maybe a few tropical plants that enjoy the heat! July is often the hottest month of the year for the greenhouse gardener…Watering and making sure ventilation is working properly are almost a full time job!
In July, I do the following tasks in my greenhouse:
*keeping the temperatures low enough is a difficult task this month. Open ventilation systems and possibly even the addition of some supplemental fans may be necessary this month.
* Keep up the shading for the tender leaves of the plants that you may have growing in your greenhouse. Shading will also help protect the greenhouse equipment such as the cell packs and trays from melting under the scorching temps of the hot summer sun.
* Regular Damping Down is a MUST this month in order to keep temps a bit lower and humidity at a good level.
*Water, water and more water for the plants you have growing inside the greenhouse. High summer temperatures will dry them out faster than you think, and it is easy for a dry plant to perish in hot conditions.
*Maintain your cleaning regimen in the greenhouse…
* Keep a vigilant eye open for pests in the greenhouse this month. Spider mites LOVE warm dry conditions, as do whitefly and aphids…so be ready with your remedies as soon as the first indication that there is trouble comes to your attention.
* Watch for things such as grey mould and mildew this month. All the extra watering could help such things propagate themselves.
* FEED those potted plants in the greenhouse. July is a great month to promote healthy growth. Warm roots are active roots!!! Feed them and watch those plants shoot up!
*Maintain the supplies in your greenhouse…
*Stop and enjoy the sights and smells of all the beautiful blooms and bright foliage both inside and outside your greenhouse
*Don’t forget!!! We must update our garden journals this month!!! Continue to take lots of photos to remind yourself of the things you do and do not like for future reference!
I will see you again in August with more greenhouse tasks!
What tasks do you do for the month of July in your greenhouse?
Until next time….Happy gardening!
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.
ATTENTION!!! Please do not steal my content! ALL of the content on this page is property of Tootsie Time is not to be copied and used elsewhere unless with the expressed permission of Tootsie! There have been a lot of my photos found on various websites and none have permission. Removing the watermark is not permitted under any circumstances. My work is MINE to share, and should never be seen with someone else's name attached to it. That is stealing!
Wednesday, July 3, 2019
Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)